Monday, October 14, 2013

Not-So-Happy Halloween

Praise the Lord all ye nations. For a quick recap, I'm still alive and well but I've just been very busy with growing up, senior work, my community, family and teaching not one, but two catechism classes. Praise the Lord. I'm definitely not complaining because I like to see it as a joyful sort of chaos which Divine Providence has perfectly planned, even though I sometimes feel like I'm running around like a chicken without a cluck-cluck head. Hallelujah!

Moving on, obviously it's October. Cue the pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks and fabulous crisp air. Just kidding about Starbucks, I don't support them anymore because they stomp all over what I hold dear to my little heart and they don't want my business anyways. Now where was I? Oh yes, October.
Along with the pumpkin spice everything (guilty as charged) and wonderful weather, in comes the not-so-pleasant side of the month: the twisted celebration of the occult and culture of death. I'm not only pinpointing Halloween, because the (near) whole of society has embraced October as being creepy, crawly and flat-out demonic. To that, I shaketh my noggin with contempt. Perhaps I'm being extreme, but I don't think it's cute or festive to celebrate what I mentioned earlier; the occult and culture of death. And yet, the disturbing celebration of the occult (which is evil) and the culture of death (which is also evil, and yes, evil does indeed exist, but I suppose the media must have "forgotten" to mention that Pope Francis spoke of this often last week; evil existing, that is) happens year-round, just not so in our faces with the orange and black decor.
St. Jerome, pray for us

Take The Walking Dead, for example. I'll be honest and say that I've never really watched it, but I know enough about it by now. It just never peaked my interest and frankly, zombies aren't exactly visually appealing. Anyways, I find the series to be perturbing because not only does it glorify the C.o.D but it is also emotionally, morally and visually desensitizing to our modern culture. You know what I'm talking about if you've watched it; the gore, the deaths, the killings, the eating of flesh and so on with the savage violence  What happened to decency and our sense of decorum? I also find it disturbing that our nation is so enthralled with it, because that tells me that our country is literally looking to the dark to try and fill the void of the absence of God in this culture, but it is failing and failing miserably. However, that's not to say that there is no hope. This post isn't just to slam The Walking Dead, although it isn't beneficial to our souls in the slightest way, especially being Catholic. But I digress on The Walking Dead and will leave that as food for personal thought.

For October as a whole, I find it to be truly sad that instead of celebrating the lives of the great and holy saints in preparation for All-Saints Day, we choose to glorify what is dark and evil, instead of what is pure and holy. My sincere prayer is that instead of running away from the light, we can all one day embrace it... instead of embracing the wolves in sheep's clothing. 
But don't get me totally wrong; I enjoy dressing up for fun and eating charitably-given candy. But I do not enjoy the macabre and utterly demonic influence over the whole month. In fact, I have a disdain for it. I can hear it now; "Come on Yvonne, you're so uptight, it's just all fun and games." Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and my opinion is that if we are continuously inviting in the dark instead of the light, what will become of our souls?


To each his own, but I'm going to be the Halloween-Hipster and celebrate Holyween instead.. err.. Hipsterween? No, just Holyween. Pax fras.
If I don't dress up my future children as
little saints and holy people, they'll be food. Like cupcakes
or jelly-beans. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment