Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Our Lady, an Announcement & Salty Carmel

First off, happy solemnity of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel! May she bless, protect and save us all from everlasting death, through the means of the Brown Scapular. St. Simon Stock, pray for us. 



Now, you may or may not have noticed that something is different around here. I’ll give you a second to look around and find it.

Found it yet? 

That’s right. I’m no longer going by “The Cali Catholic Girl”. While the title was a cute creation, and I’m grateful it helped me make some sort of name for myself and my obscure little blog, it was time to move along. Not too drastically life changing or even shocking. The content won’t change at all, simply the blog title and url. 

So here we are. 

The Salty Catholic. 

Aside from inspiration of the Holy Spirit, I chose this name for a number of reasons, but I won’t bore you with the details. Let’s just make a short list instead.


  • As Catholics, we are called to be the light of the world, and salt of the earth, as read in Matthew 5:13-16. Also, by renaming the blog as The Salty Catholic, it personally pays homage to a deal I made a long time ago; to be the light of the world and salt of the earth. You can find more on that in my memoirs, many decades from now. Stay tuned. 


So here’s our equation so far: Salt + Catholicism = a Salty Catholic


  • In the Catholic Church, salt is viewed as a powerful sacramental when it is blessed or exorcised. I prefer exorcised, just to give it that extra oomph. Back to the drawing board: Salt + Catholicism = a Salty Catholic
  • Lastly, in modern culture among our youth, the word “salty” has become an adjective to describe someone who is a bit bitter or testy. In all honesty, it perfectly reflects my personality, because I am Catholic, and I can be salty. For however long you’ve graced this little blog with your presence, you should already have an idea of that fact. I’m definitely not salty all the time, but I also won’t deny that that is how I can be. Again, Salt + Catholicism = a Salty Catholic. 

So, it makes sense. To celebrate today’s special solemnity and word play, I’ll be attempting to make salted caramel. Or should I say salted Carmel?

It only makes sense. Pax.




No comments:

Post a Comment