Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Catholic Summer Reading List

St. John Bosco once said, “Only God knows the good that can come about by reading one good Catholic book.”

With summer beginning, more free time than usual, and my abhorrence with the California heat waves, there’s no better time to brush up on spiritual reading. I’ve always been a bookworm anyway. In elementary school I was one of those kids who helped in the library, just to be around the tangy scent of books and to get away from my sweaty, overheated peers out on the blacktop, under the scorching sun. 

Okay, it wasn’t that bad but the point is I preferred books to playing. 

So, as time allows I’ll be straining my eyeballs and strengthening my poor soul through the spiritual books listed below. 

The Life of St. Gemma Galgani by her Spiritual Director Ven. Fr. Germanus, C.P

The World’s First Love 
Mary, Mother of God by Ven. Fulton J. Sheen

The Glories of Mary by St. Alphonsus Liguori 

Preparation for Death  by St. Alphonsus Liguori 


It’s going to be a very Liguori summer, I’ve already started The Glories of Mary and it’s one of the most beautiful Marian books I’ve ever read. It won’t be surprising if it takes a whole year to finish, because it’s one of those works where you have to stop and really think about what you just read. Simply amazing. 

Anyway, this reading list is short but more books might be added on as time passes. What’s on your summer reading list?

1 comment:

  1. When you get a chance, can you write on "The Glories of Mary" by St. Alphonsus Liguria? I finished reading "Hail, Holy Queen," by Scott Hahn, but have never attempted a deeper understanding (outside of St. Louis DeMonfort) and would like to know more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete